Hello Baseball and Stats fans,
The Impact Stat has been updated, please find your All Star Edition in the table below!
The teams have been ranked by win/loss percentage, the next columns show the ranking for Batting Average, On-Base Percentage, Slugging, On-Base+Slugging and finally IMPACT!
- The LA Angels of Anahiem are not even close to leading any of the offensive categories, they are not even close to leading the Impact Stat either - yet they have the best record in baseball! (That's numbers for ya!)
- The Rangers of Texas are leading in BA, Slugging, OPS, and even Runs Scored, yet they sit 7.5 games out of first! They are 3rd on the Impact Ranking (That's numbers for ya!)
- The National League average trails in all categories, yet the Impact is 0.003 points higher than the American League average.
- The Cubs and the Mets boast the highest differential when comparing Impact to OBP. It's no surprise then that once they get on base, they are moving runners along. Cubs are in first, and the Mets are only a half game out at this point.
- Looking at my Toronto Blue Jays, I was surprised to see that they rank 8th in terms of Impact. However, they are low on the list in SLG, OPS, they have grounded in a league leading 101 double plays which doesn't help to move the few runners along that they do have. The Jays are also near the bottom when it comes to batting with runners in scoring position (ie, they get runners to 2nd and 3rd, but they don't cash them in!)
Aneez Kanji evalutates the IMPACT that a Major League Baseball batter has while at the plate.
Read the original 'Methodology' post to see how the IMPACT STAT is calculated